Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas and any small thing...

"Any small, calm thing that one soul can do to help anouther soul, to assist some portion of this poor suffering world, will help immensely. It is not given to us to know which acts or by whom, will cause the critical mass to tip toward an enduring good."
-Clarissa Pinkola-Estes

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm finding these posts becoming more and more personal (isn't it all in a way) as the inevdible journey you go trough and the meetings you make with people in the end sometimes make more sense writing about than the formal information passed on by others. So I'm back in my hometown Kumla over Christmas and it's a valuable time to catch up on some resting and reading. And this is where the qoute above comes in as my contemplation for this week is that we may realize that we do what we can and we do it again, even when we fail and feel like there's nothing more to give from. Because there is. For our little portion. For our friends.

I met a friend today. His name is Marten. 20-year old Marten from Iraq. He's a refugee kid all alone here in Kumla with the rest of his family back in Baghdad. But foremost he's a boy with a lot of laugther in his heart and a lot of joy written on his face. "You're my big sister Heléne!", he says (or shouts) like he did this summer when I'd first met him with some friends. And I feel so sad about the Swedish Christmas inclination to limit family members to nothing other than the shared genetic gene pool. So we're trying to not do that this season as there's really no better time for friendship and community. Now the only thing we'll be missing on Monday is baklava. Darn it.

No comments: