Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Turtles can fly"

I saw this film a couple of weeks ago, "Turtles can fly", by the Iranian filmmaker Bahman Ghobadi. It was the first film to be made in Iraq after the fall of Saddam. The plot takes place at a refugee camp near the Turkish-Iraqi border and foremost shows the life (and death) of the Kurdish kids there.

This film really touched my heart and I really encourage you to see it. Why? Well, for or a lot of reasons but mainly because of the fact, which really frigthened me, that these kids in this film, that are exposed to all the horrors of war, are the immigrant kids you see walking the streets of Stockholm and many of the European capitals nowdays. Are the kids I meet every week in Vårberg. Comming from the darkest corners of life (and again death) you dont even want to think about. Hear about. Write about. So I dont this time but leave that to Bahman Ghobadi. That I think he does a better job is the least I can say.

But so I saw this film and I was reminded of what I'm trying to do there. To be what I have a hard time believing myself a lot of the times. That there's love in this world. That there's hope. That sometimes, the impossible is possible and even turtles fly. In the most positive sense.

_______________________________________________

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal." Wake up call incoming.

No comments: