What does it mean for us now that we've started taking the situation in Burma seriously all over the world...
What does it mean for us?
Can we keep on pushing for change even when the media hype has gone to sleep and wakes up the next day with something else to report on?
Petitions are being signed and people are reacting against the injustice, but what happens when the lights are turned down low?
And so we come to a deeper realization -that we must keep on pushing for change, not only in the public eye but in the face-to-face encounters with our friends and family.
Do we?
I mean, do I?
I must honestly say that sometimes, blogging, is the easy way out. You put the information, the engagement out there... But what do I tell the people around me?
What do I do when the lights are turned down low?
It already has for the Burmese people, when Burma went dark and the military shut down all internet, telephone and communication links with the rest of the world.
This one on one encounter among them, with friends and family, is what enables us to speak up here through the tone of our writer's voice. The monks putting their lives at stake over there for the sake of freedom would never have happened without those one on one encounters with the people around them. Coming together to stand together. To see we're many when we're moving in the masses of familiar faces. Cause many candles shine brigther than one.
So I'm thinking. Let's come together. In our blog communities but also in our (real life) communities. In our one on one conversations with people. So that, we do not go to sleep like the media hype will (although we must keep them remembering and reporting) but stay up talking to our neighbor, even when or most importantly so, when information society goes dark on us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment