A few days ago I was spending my day off at the World News Cafe on floor nr. 3 in Kulturhuset (House of Culture?) in Sthlm. By the way, I think I'll make this my new hiding place now since I'm actually starting to grow tired of the library at Rådmansgatan. But so, at the World News Cafe you're provided with a world wide range of newspapers while having the nice opportunity to sit down and drink your coffee or zip your espresso. It's nice and..it's a lot of people. Unfortunately I would like to say sometimes I guess but its exhilarating to listen in on a loud conversation in French and try to make out some of it. Rude you might think. I say that's what makes the Cafe interesting really. To see how all those different newspapers bring all these different people together, into that same place where we all thirst for knowledge and that black substance which enables us to drink it.
I started reading The Guardian and my eyes instinctively got sucked into an article on "Pelosi challenges Bush policy by visiting Syria". This is so bizarre. By holding talks with President Bashar Assad in Damascus the speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, challenged the Bush administration's stewardship of American interest in the Middle East. This, as she was breaking with its [the US' -or I'd rather say Bush's] policy of isolating Syria. Towards the end of the article it said that Mr Bush on Tuesday had criticised her visit, telling reporters that "sending delegations hasn't worked. It's just simply been counter-productive". And the ongoing war hasn't?! If this is the view he takes upon diplomatic talks in the Middle East, as failures, I'm afraid to think of his definition of success...well, I guess we kinda know it...
But I'm sorry for running into Mr Bush's boring end. That's like giving you the wrong conclusion before you've had the chance to read the (right) thesis statement.
So here's the main body of the article and my main message here today:
The Guardian Thursday April 5 2007
"Her [Nancy Pelosi] status as the third most senior elected figure in Washington makes her visit to Damascus the most serious challenge to the Bush administration's strategy of isolation in four years. However, questions about the sustainability of that policy were further underlined by a separate visit to Damascus this week by three Republican congressmen. 'This week is only the beginning of our constructive dialogue with Syria and we hope to build on this visit', said Tom Lantos, the chairman of the house committee on foreign affairs, who accompanied Ms Pelosi".
Then Syria's foreign minister, Walid al-Moallem, said something very good. He said: "The visit proved the importance of keeping the diplomatic channels open. These people in the United States who are opposing dialogue, I tell them: dialogue is...the only method to close the gap between two countries."
I pray for Syria's foreign minister, Mr. Walid al-Moallem, and the people in the United States not opposed to dialogue (Nancy Pelosi surprisingly being one of them here today), I pray for your dialogue and the lives you will affect through it.
Today's UN question: What is UNESCO?
Answer: UNESCO - the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. UNESCO is working to create the conditions for genuine dialogue based upon respect for shared values and the dignity of each civilization and culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment